Friday, November 6, 2009

The WGU Messenger

I thought I would spend a little time covering the WGU Messenger that is introduced during Education Without Boundaries (EWOB).  The WGU Messenger is a instant message program that WGU recommends that students download while they are taking EWOB.  I downloaded the application thinking that it was mandatory for completion of the course.  However, I quickly found out that the program is not mandatory, and to my knowledge not used very much by students.  I think the idea behind the program was to provide an instant message capability for students to keep in contact with each other, but I'm not sure if that is working for most folks.  If anyone out there is using the program with success please let me know.

3 comments:

  1. I heard from a student that it was necessary for some classes however I dont forsee that to be the case in non IT classes. I believe it maybe necessary for IT students who might have IM groups and thus its necessary but yes ive also noticed its not necessary and essentially a waste.

    Good idea by the school though

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the comment. I would like confirmation from an IT student on the necessity of the messenger. I think that if it was necessary for a class that it has the potential to slow down a student's progress due to lack of leadership within an IM group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea this is an old comment but I was surfing by and thought I would answer.

    I'm a WGU IT student with plans to graduate in May of 2011. I have had no classes whatsoever that required use of the messenger and do not anticipate that any of my remaining classes will require it either. I uninstalled it long ago.

    ReplyDelete